top of page

Your landlord cannot keep more than it costs to fix the damages

When you move out of a rental where you've paid a pet deposit, your landlord can only keep an amount from the deposit that covers the actual cost of repairs for any pet-related damages.

They cannot legally retain more than what is necessary for these specific repairs. Your landlord is required by state law to provide a list of their expenses on moveout. 

How to take action

  1. Send your landlord a letter AND email informing them of the violation (see templates) 

  2. Document all interactions and communications with your landlord.

  3. If your landlord refuses to comply with the law, you can file a Civil Complaint (see template) for the violation. 

  4. Contact an attorney for legal advice and/or representation 

  5. Go to all of your hearings!

Template Downloads

bottom of page