top of page

Your landlord can't ask you for move-in fees that total more than your first month's rent.

Types of Move-In Fees:

When you're moving into a new place, you might encounter several types of fees, such as:

Processing Fees: Charges for handling your application.

Credit or Background Check Fees: Costs to check your financial and personal history.

Security Deposits: Money you pay upfront to cover any potential damages to the property.

Maintenance Fees: Charges for upkeep or cleaning before you move in.

Prepaid Rent: Paying for future rent upfront, like the last month's rent before you even move in.

What you can do:

All these fees combined shouldn't exceed the amount of your first month's rent. If you face any issues with being overcharged or unfairly treated regarding pet deposits, this part of the Tacoma code is there to back you up.

How to take action

  1. Send your landlord a letter/email informing them of the violation (see templates) 

  2. Document all interactions and communications with your landlord.

  3. If your landlord refuses to comply with the law, you can file a Civil Complaint (see template) for the violation. 

  4. Contact an attorney for legal advice and/or representation 

  5. Go to all of your hearings!

Template Downloads

bottom of page