top of page

If your landlord decides to raise the rent by more than 5%, and this increase means you have to move out, they owe you Relocation Assistance

Calculating the Rent Increase Percentage:

To figure out the percentage increase in your rent, you can subtract your current rent from the new rent, divide that number by your current rent, and then multiply by 100.For example, if your rent is going from $1,000 to $1,060, the increase is $60. ($60 / $1,000) x 100 = 6%. Since this is more than a 5% increase, the relocation assistance provisions would apply.

How to take action

  1. Calculate the relocation assistance you’re entitled to (see table) 

  2. Send an email/letter to your landlord requesting the assistance (see templates) 

  3. File and serve a complaint and summons (we also have templates for these!) 

  4. Contact an attorney for legal advice and/or representation 

  5. Go to all of your hearings!

Template Downloads

bottom of page